Fallbrook

Fallbrook is a census-designated place (CDP) in northern San Diego County, California. At the 2010 census, Fallbrook had a population of 30,534 people, up from 29,100 at the 2000 census.

The downtown area of Fallbrook is not located on a major highway. It’s 5.5 miles (8.9 kilometers) west of I-15 and 6 miles (9.7 kilometers) north of State Route 76. Fallbrook is located just east of Camp Pendleton, which is home to the United States Marine Corps. It previously served as a stagecoach stop along the Temecula to San Diego stage. [requires citation]

Fallbrook is famed for its avocado plantations and claims to be the “Avocado Capital of the World” despite no official designation. It is commonly referred to as “The Friendly Village.”  The Avocado Festival is held every year in the downtown strip and draws significant visitors.

The Payomkawichum people, subsequently known as Luiseos by Spanish missionaries who visited the area in the late 1700s, were the first to settle in Fallbrook. The Luiseos established large village sites and oak woods. One such location became the area that is now known as Live Oak County Park.

During the Mexican period, in 1846, Ysidro Alvarado was granted Rancho Monserate by then-Governor of Mexican California, Pio Pico, who was residing to the west of Fallbrook, where Camp Pendleton is now located.

Alvarado and Pico were citizens of both Mexico and the United States and were second-generation Californians and San Diegans.

The San Luis Rey River and Bonsall to the south, Stagecoach Lane and the Palomares house to the north, Mission Road to the west, and Monserate Mountain to the east made up Rancho Monserate, a 13,323-acre grant.

Jose Maria Pico, Pio’s nephew and a local vaquero, had been living in the Fallbrook High School region during the 1860 census, and his family had registered to vote in October 1868, in time for the November presidential election, the first election after the Civil War ended.

Roping the Bear at Santa Margarita Rancho, an oil painting by James Walker done in 1870, depicting Mexican vaqueros capturing a grizzly bear, is the first known image of the location.

Later, Vital Reche, a Canadian immigrant, settled with his family close north of Alvarado’s ranch in what is now known as Live Oak Park. After their former farmhouse in Pennsylvania, they named the new community Fall Brook. [4]

In 1885, the current town site was laid up.

[requires citation] Despite the fact that the original Fallbrook School was shuttered as a school in 1939, the Reche Clubhouse continues to serve the community. [requires citation] In 1890, one of the community’s churches was built, and it is still in use today. [requires citation]

The first dominant trees in Fallbrook were oaks.

[6] Furthermore, by the 1920s, olives had become an important crop, which lasted until World War II, but was finally phased out in favor of the avocado and flower industries. [requires citation] In the town, there are approximately sixty wholesale and retail nurseries. [requires citation]

Incorporation referendums were held in 1981 and 1987, but both failed.

 

This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.