The City of Escondido
Escondido (Spanish for “hidden [place]”) is a city in San Diego County’s North County district, located 30 miles (48 kilometers) northeast of downtown San Diego, 15 miles from the beach, and 40 miles from the Mexican border. The city is surrounded by rugged hills in a shallow valley. It is one of San Diego County’s oldest cities, having been founded in 1888. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 143,911 people.
The Luiseo were the first to settle in the Escondido area, establishing campsites and communities along the creek that runs through the area. Mixéelum Pompáwvo, or “Mehel-om-pom-pavo,” was the name given to the location. Panakare, a Luiseno settlement north of Mixéelum Pompáwvo, was also inhabited by the Luiseno.  The Kumeyaay traveled from locations near the Colorado River, settling in the San Pasqual Valley and near the San Dieguito River in what is now Escondido’s southwestern and western sections. Development and agriculture have destroyed the majority of today’s communities and campsites.
Spain and Mexico are two countries that share a border.
During the United States’ conquest of California in 1846, the Combat of San Pasqual was a critical battle between American and Californian soldiers.
From the late 18th to the early 19th centuries, Spain ruled the land and founded numerous missions in California to convert the indigenous people. The area territory was separated into huge ranchos after Mexico gained independence from Spain. The former Rancho Rincon del Diablo (“Devil’s Corner”), a Mexican land grant given to Juan Bautista Alvarado (not the governor of the same name) in 1843 by Governor Manuel Micheltorena, currently houses the majority of Escondido. Alvarado was the first Regidor of the pueblo of San Diego and a Regidor of Los Angeles at the time. The former Rancho San Bernardo, which was awarded in 1842 and 1845, is now the southern half of Escondido. 
The Battle of San Pasqual was fought southeast of Escondido in 1846 during the Mexican–American War. Mexican forces led by Andrés Pico (brother of then-California Governor Po Pico) faced American forces led by Stephen W. Kearny, Archibald Gillespie, and Kit Carson in this action. Carson has a park named after him in Escondido.